In Nisyros, the customs and culture of the island pass unchanged from one generation to another. Τhe weddings and the baptisms are performed in a very ceremonial and formal way. At the various festivals the inhabitants wear their traditional costumes: men wear the traditional breeches and women wear an embroidered shirt.
The people of Nisyros love dancing and singing, which are never missing from their amazing celebrations. The violin, the santouri and the lute are some of the traditional instruments of the island.
The festivals are very important cultural elements and for this reason they are held in public buildings such as the Zosimopouleio Theater of Nisyros. At the hall and the courtyard of this theater, the traditional wedding festivities and the big, crowded festival of Panagia Spiliani (6th-15 th of August) are held.
Some other important religious festivals are:
- Every Tuesday of Easter there is a festival at the Monastery of Panagia Evangelistria.
- Every 20th and 21st of June there is a traditional celebration in honour of Agios Nikitas, the patron saint of Nisyros, in the village of Mandraki.
- Every 30th of June, in the village Paloi there is a celebration in honour of the day of the Saints Apostles.
- Every 26-27th of July there is a festival during the celebration of Agios Panteleimonas at Avlaki.
- Every 14-15th of August the festival organized by the Holy Monastery of Panagia Spiliani in Mandraki has a turnout from all the Dodecanese Islands and is considered the most important event held in Nisyros.